Nigerian Railway Corporation says it is working assiduously with the security agencies to see to the release of 21 passengers still in the custody of bandits.
The Corporation said 172 passengers on board the Ak9 train attacked by bandits on Monday 28th of March are safe and now at home.
The Corporation assured that no stone will be left unturned in efforts to rescue them.
According to a statement released and signed by the Managing Director of the Corporation, Engineer Fidet Okhiria, the general public will continue to have latest information to prevent misleading news and falsehood.
On efforts to quickly restore services on the Kaduna Abuja route as directed by President Buhari, Engineer Okhiria said 80 metres of the affected rail track had been fixed including replacement of affected sleepers and twisted rails.
Also 7 coaches have been rerailed while five have been successfully moved to the stations while work is on going in the repair of the remaining tracks.
Engineer Okhiria condoles
with the families of those who lost their relations and prayed for the repose of the lost souls. He was also of gratitude to the security agencies, (Nigerian Army, Nigerian Air Force, Nigerian police force and Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps) for their support and
He is also of gratitude to the Inspector General of Police for his support and surprised visit to the accident side.
It could be recalled that on Monday 28th of March, bandits attacked the last train going from Abuja to Kaduna in which 8 people have been confirmed dead including the Secretary-General of the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria, Barrister Musa Lawal.
Nigerians have called on the government to be proactive in security challenges facing the nation and tackle them headlong.
According to some people spoken to by City EXPRESS NEWS, the government should not shy away from the issue of State police as they believe its formation would go a long way in addressing security challenges.